Here are ways you can join the work God is doing on this little island.
Whether you would consider yourself a prayer warrior or whisperer, we know that God hears your prayers. We are convinced that this school remains open and strong because of many faithful prayer warriors over the last 25 years. By joining this special mission through prayer, you help us fight battles that can only be fought on our knees. Here are some things you can pray for:
- The Holy Spirit's work in students and staff, and the rest of the island.
- Physical and spiritual protection for students and staff.
- School finances.
- Outreach to the community.
- Health of students and staff, especially in the rainy season.
- Recruiting for future staff/student missionaries.
Yap SDA School runs primarily on student tuition, and since tuition is kept as affordable as possible, it means running on an extremely tight budget. We invite you to prayerfully consider investing in what God is doing in Yap, whether it is donating money or material goods. Please contact us for information on how to donate, or to find out about current larger projects that need funding. Below is a list of general school expenses:
General Expense Needs
- Tuition assistance/scholarship for students in need
- Stipends for teachers and administrators
- School supplies
- Toners for copy machine and printers
- Fuel for school vehicles
- Maintenance/grounds labor and supplies
- Electricity and water bills
- Cleaning supplies
Yap SDA School depends almost exclusively on volunteer teachers through the Adventist Volunteer Services program. To see the currently available positions, look at Guam-Micronesia Mission's Open Positions for Yap. Many come from Adventist colleges and universities in North America, while some also volunteer from other countries around the globe. Basic teaching skills and training are provided in orientation meetings in Hawaii before they arrive, and some also receive extra preparation through their university.
Serving as a volunteer teacher in Yap is an incredible opportunity to join what God is doing on this small Pacific island. Other reasons to consider serving in Yap include:
- Discovering what it means to trust God in your every-day life as a missionary and teacher
- Gaining valuable teaching and leadership experience
- Developing deep, often life-long friendships with students and fellow missionaries
- Utilizing your spiritual gifts in a small, supportive church community
- Discovering a unique island culture
- Enjoying tropical weather, beaches, snorkeling, and diving
Volunteers must be members of the Seventh-day Adventist church and over the age of 18. If you attend an Adventist college or university, please see your Student Missions Coordinator. You may also find more information or apply to serve by looking at He Said Go.
There are several ways you can support student missionaries and volunteers in Yap. Here are a few ideas:
- Help financially sponsor a volunteer going to Yap. You can check with any North-American Adventist university to help sponsor a student missionary.
- Pray for current volunteers.
- "Adopt" a current volunteer, and encourage them through email, Facebook, or letters.
- Send a care-package.
- Help supply classroom materials or school supplies.